Monday, October 3, 2016

Scream Queens: Barbara Maitland (Beetlejuice)

We're Very Unhappy


What did you expect? You're dead!

In honor of Halloween month- er... I mean October... I thought throughout this month all my posts will be Halloween related and I will post about the Scream Queens and Goths of the past. First, I'm starting with a character from the great movie Beetlejuice (1988). This classic Tim Burton film is always a must as Halloween time. The first time I saw it was when I was pretty little and I didn't like it too much... but now I love it! The character I will be talking about today is Geena Davis' character Barbara Maitland, part of the couple in the film who die and are now trying to figure how to get through their un-lives. I'll go through what she wears in the film and her makeup and how you can recreate her style today!

Fashion


Barbara wears a floral dress throughout the movie. The floral dress has some poofy sleeves and it's pretty long. It's also pretty long! But most importantly it's very simple and pretty. She wears some simple nude/pale pink flats as well.


She also wears a ghostly white wedding dress near the end of the film during Beetlejuice and Lydia's wedding (such a lovely wedding!). Her veil is a tiara with a long veil attached.

Hair


Mrs. Maitland has very, very curly hair and wears it down throughout the entirety of the film. She's got a fair amount of volume to it too. Her hair is pretty bouncy and lively for a dead woman. Someone please tell me what shampoo she is using.

Makeup 


Her makeup is really simplistic in this film and could be recreated very simply. She has a simple, nude eye shadow on the lid. Then, in the crease she has a nice soft brown eye shadow. In some pictures it also looked as though she had some dark brown in the outer part of the crease as well. She just wears a small amount of mascara and her brows are very natural as well. Her lips peachy/coral color. It's a very natural pretty look and would be very easy to recreate!

Bring Barbara Maitland's Style Into YOUR Lifetime!



I decided to create four different outfits inspired by Barbara Maitland.

The first outfit is a more dressy way to incorporate Barbara's simple fashion elements, the floral dress and nude shoes. This floral maxi dress is so pretty and has some similar colors to the dress Barbara wears. Then I added some simple nude heels. You could of course leave the outfit like this, but I decided to add a little silver heart necklace to add one little extra something.

For the second outfit, I decided to go for a more grunge inspired look. Again, the floral dress is here and I chose some oxfords for the shoes. You could also wear so boots or flats with this outfit. I put in a red beanie because I was taking some inspiration from the Guidebook For the Recently Deceased in the film where the woman on the cover wears a pink hat, I opted for red instead since I thought it looked better with the dress. The black and white flannel is inspired by Barbara's husband Adam (Alec Baldwin) who wears a similar style shirt in the film. Lastly, I added a black tattoo choker just for an extra gothic/grungey vibe. 

For this next look, I wanted to create an outfit that still incorporated Barbara's floral pattern but without the dress. So, I found this floral top that has a bit of poofy to the sleeves which reminded me of the sleeves on Barbara's dress. I paired this with some light wash jeans. I went with some pale pink oxfords with this look. I love these shoes since it takes a color that's usually seen as more feminine and pair them with a style of shoe that is typically more masculine. For jewelry, I chose these eyeball earrings to reference the scene where Barbara makes her eyeballs go into the back of her head. I put in the rose gold watch just to put in some more of this rose gold color into the outfit since I think it works really well with the other colors in the outfit.


Lastly, this look is inspired by the wedding scene. This is the scene where Beetlejuice and Lydia are getting married. In this scene, Barbara and Adam are also seen in wedding attire. I went fairly simple with this outfit in contrast with the extravagant wedding attire she actually sports in this scene. For the top, I went with a white sweater with white lace detailing, of course inspired by her wedding dress. I just paired it with some simple light wash jeans. Jeans are always a good clothing item as they're fairly plain and can be worn with a wide variety of colors. When looking at pictures of her in this scene, I tried to find a picture where I could see her shoes. I eventually found a publicity photo of her in the dress and she was wearing, for whatever reason, yellow converse. So that's what I decided to go with! I also added a necklace with a red jewel. I chose this simply because this scene involves a lot of use of the color red and I thought it would be nice to incorporate another pop of bright color into the outfit. 

 
So that's my first Halloween themed post here! Let me know what you thought of it! Have you ever watched Beetlejuice? Which scene is your favorite? What other Halloween themed characters would you like to see on this blog? Let me know in the comments below! Next week I'll be focusing on a particular witchy woman! Can you guess who it will be? Hint: she has a thing for vampires. 

Photo Sources

No comments:

Post a Comment